AirPhysio and Acapella are both excellent as respiratory devices. They both have attractive features and gives a tough competition. So, if you are also confused about which one to buy, we give you the detailed guide and help you decide between AirPhysio vs Acapella here.
Here, in this article, we will tell you both these products and let you make an informed decision yourself. So, read this article to the end.
These devices treat Bronchiectasis, Cystic Fibrosis, COPD, Asthma, and many more. All the conditions mentioned above hinders the body’s ability to remove mucus from the lungs.
For any asthmatics, the lung capacity reduces to 5 to 25 ml every year, while that of smokers increases to about 33 ml every year. Not only patients but regular smokers also use these products highly. Due to these problems, you can experience breathlessness after performing simple tasks like jogging, small sets of stairs, etc.
AirPhysio vs Acapella: Comparison Table
|Symptoms that are reduced||The list includes Asthma, Atelectasis, Bronchopneumonia, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) – Emphysema, Cystic Fibrosis, and countless more respiratory conditions.||Cystic Fibrosis, COPD, and asthma|
|Usage time||Approx. 5 – 10 minutesEvery 1-2 hours||Approx. 10-20 minutesOnce or twice daily|
|Who can use?||Athletes, Smokers, Swimmers & Deep Sea Divers, Children, Adults, Elderly, Singers, Wind Instrument Musicians.||Children and adults|
|Easy to use||Yes||Yes|
|No. of resistance settings||None||N/A|
|Country of origin||Australia||USA|
|Flow range||5 L/min up to 30 L/min||Up To 15L|
|Warranty||1 Year||Not available|
|Price||$59.99||Ask for price|
|Review||Airphysio Review||Acapella Review|
What is AirPhysio?
It is an OPEP or Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure device widely used for lung expansion and mucus clearance. AirPhysio uses all-natural processes only and helps in the body’s natural cleansing process. It helps you maintain optimal hygiene in the lungs and restore your lung capacity. This device will help you maximize your lung volume, prevent atelectasis, facilitate secretion mobilisation, and many more.
How Does AirPhysio Work?
- Relax your body and take proper posture and position.
- Inhale more than your normal breath but do not fill your lungs completely with air.
- Hold your breath for 2-3 seconds.
- Now place the AirPhysio in your mouth and exhale through AirPhysio at a rate faste than your normal speed using the abdominal breathing. Remember do not completely empty the lungs.
- You can adjust the tilt of the device to maximise the vibrations within the chest and also keep your cheeks stiff.
- Repeat the steps from 2- 5 till 10 breaths.
Many people have seen a difference in their breathing just after first usage. Thus, we can confidently say that Airphysio is a highly efficient device.
How to Clean AirPhysio device?
It is imperative to clean and disinfect Airphysio devices after every session, even though they are designed for one-patient use only. Getting the respiratory system thoroughly cleaned will reduce the chance of an infection breeding.
- The clear cap on the device should be twisted 0.3-inches anticlockwise so that the device is disassembled. After pulling away the blue hardware, lift the cap to remove it. Disassemble the device by removing the child-resistant cover (remember to unlock the cover first)
- Use liquid detergent instead of powder-based detergent to wash the disassembled parts.
- Before wiping the components, rinse them thoroughly with running water.
- Clean the already wiped components with a 60-90% concentrate alcohol solution. Let the components rest for about two minutes before reassembling them. Next, keep your device dry and clean.
Pros and Cons
What is Acapella?
It is a PEP or Positive Expiratory Pressure device that uses mobilize secretions. Patients with chronic respiratory disorders use this independently by themselves without any medical practitioner or accomplice’s help. It has the benefits of both airway vibrations and PEP that mobilize pulmonary secretions. A person is able to use it in any position allowing the patients to recline, stand, sit or move freely.
How it works?
To use, simply:
- To use Acapella, breathe in and out of the valve of the device 5 times. Keeping your exhalations longer than your inhalations.
- You need to alternate between regular and slow breathe. After every exhalation, hold your breath for 2-3 seconds.
- After 5-6 exhalations, try to cough if you haven’t done already, this will help to get rid of mucus.
- Repeat the steps from 1-3 till no further mucus is expelled, this shall take about 10-20 minutes.
This device is highly efficient in removing the mucus from the lungs.
How to Clean Acapella?
The Acapella breather needs to be cleaned frequently and disinfected at least every week, just like any breathing exercise. For disinfection, the disassembled parts should be soaked for about five minutes in a 70% alcohol solution. Additionally, you can use a hydrogen solution that is 30% concentrated.
Here is what you need to do each day to maintain your Acapella:
- Disassemble the breather by washing your hands with soap and running water. The mouthpiece of the device must be removed when disassembling.
- Use a non-toxic liquid dish detergent and tap water to clean the components. The powder-based detergents used in the device can lead to clogs in the airway over time.
- Rinse the mouthpiece and the body with plenty of clean, running water after removing them from the detergent solution.
- Excess water should be drained from the mouthpiece as well as the body. Once all the parts are completely dry and ready for use, you can reassemble the unit.
Pros and Cons
The Differences Between Airphysio vs Acapella
There are some key differences between Airphysio vs Acapella devices, including:
Replacement: Acapella breathers are relatively easier to replace than Airphysio breathers. To order, simply visit the manufacturing company’s or authorized retailer’s website as you did with the first unit. In contrast, a valid doctor’s prescription is the only requirement for replacing your Acapella breathing apparatus. In particular, if you do not like having to go to the clinic regularly, it can be rather tedious.
Price: Although Airphysio’s designs offer high performance, they tend to cost more than Acapella. Unfortunately, apart from the one-year limited brand, Airphysio’s expensive price tag makes no sense. However, even if one finds flaws in the quality of the product, it cannot be exchanged. Therefore, if you’re willing to save a few bucks, the Acapella breather sounds like a great idea.
User Guide: It would be nice to have a detailed user guide when setting up and maintaining any new product for the first time. Despite the availability of the information through the manufacturer’s website as well as YouTube videos, Airphysio devices don’t include a manual with each device. The packaging of Acapella, however, includes a detailed instruction guide. Therefore, many first-time computer users choose this option.
Technology: Last but not least, the methods in which each device clears mucus differ. The OPEP technology employed by Airphysio mobilizes mucus in the respiratory system; Acapella’s airway vibration technology combines PEP and VEP. According to most breather users, OPEP technology results in rapid, long-lasting improvement through high-frequency oscillations. Due to the limited crossover designs of OPEP and PEP, there is little medical research on these devices.
Benefits and Features of AirPhysio vs Acapella
Both AirPhysio and Acapella serve the same surface, and hence most of their benefits or features are standard. Here are some of the significant benefits or features of both –
- Cleaning of Mucus from the Airway: It will help you clear the mucus from your lungs. This will make it easier for the user to breathe.
- Frees up Semi-Blocked or Completely-Blocked Airways: Block Airways are a widespread problem in people with respiratory disorders. These products unblock the blocked airways for you to breathe back to normal. These products can help you use your lungs to maximum capacity.
- Works Quickly: The best part of these devices is that they work almost instantly. As soon as you use them, they show their results within a fraction of seconds, and you feel relieved.
- Even Works Overnight: They not only have short-term but long-term benefits too. After just a few breaths, you will notice this. After you start using these products, you will feel your lungs be healthier, more robust, and clearer. The more you use this device, the more benefits you will observe.
- Recommended by Breathing Specialists, Doctors, Pulmonologists, etc.: Doctors highly recommend these devices. Both of these are clinically approved are legal, and highly effective. No medication is handy enough like these that can be used in emergencies anytime without a medical practitioner’s help.
- Very Portable: These devices are convenient and extremely easy to carry. You can keep them in your pocket at all times, and you do not have to worry about anything.
Both these devices are great to work with. However, AirPhysio has a better reputation and trust as compared to Acapella. Also, AirPhysio works on OPEP technology while Acapella works on PEP. AirPhysio uses OPEP technology thus is better than Acapella. However, before using any of these devices, you must first consult your doctor.
We hope your doubt about AirPhysio vs Acapella is all clear now.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How often should I use the Acapella device?
It must be used at least 2 to 4 times a day.
Is airphysio legit?
AirPhysio is completely legit and is being used by doctors also.
Can I Experience Any Side Effects from Using a Breathing device?
In general, breathing devices (whether Airphysio or Acapella) have no side effects when used properly as recommended by the manufacturer. At access pressures, however, using your breather can cause issues. Hence, before you use the device, especially Acapella, be sure to choose the appropriate resistance setting. The Airphysio comes without adjustable resistance settings, so amateurs and children may use it safely.
Is Airphysio a Legitimate Breather?
Scientific and research studies support AirPhysio’s legitimacy. All the manufacturer’s benefits will be experienced when used properly.
How Often Should I Use My Acapella or Airphysio Breather?
To achieve the best, long-term results, you must use the breather two to four times daily. Depending on the severity of your respiratory complications, however, your physician might recommend different use frequencies for your Acapella breathers since you need a prescription from your physician.