Respiratory and lung diseases are at an all-time high in today’s world. This ever-rising problem causes a lot of discomfort and many other issues. One of the common things that people with lung conditions like COPD, nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), bronchiectasis and cystic fibrosis frequently produce humongous levels of mucus. The collected mucus in the airways makes it difficult to breath and may lead to infections. This is where revolutionary airway clearance devices like Aerobika come into the picture. The device follows a technique that mobilizes the mucus from blocked airways.
What is Aerobika?
Aerobika is a handheld, battery-operated device that uses pulsating air to help clear mucus from your lungs and improve lung function. It can also be used to help prevent and treat atelectasis, a condition in which the air sacs in your lungs collapse.
How Do You Use Aerobika?
Ensure the accurate setting of the Aerobika resistance indicator
You will find it on the same side of the mouthpiece. The indicator will be set up by the health care provider when you get the Aerobika. For increasing the resistance, you need to move the indicator towards the +ve sign and shift it to -ve for decreasing the resistance.
- Sit With Correct Posture For Using The Device – It is important to lie in the postural drainage position for using the Aerobika. This position includes lying on the back flat and then alternating the left and right sides.
- Place The Mouthpiece Correctly – Make sure you seal the lips tightly around the Aerobika’s mouthpiece.
- Take In A Deep Breath And The Hold It For 2-3 Seconds
- Exhale But Make Sure It Isn’t Too Forceful – You need to exhale through your mouthpiece until you cannot hear the flutter anymore. When exhaling, make sure that you keep your cheeks firm.
- Repeat The Process For About 10-20 Breaths – During the process, try to resist coughing.
- Follow The Cycle – 10-20 Blows → 2-3 huffs → A big cough for bringing the sputum up and then out. Do not swallow the mucus.
- Huff cough is the coughing type to go with when you face trouble in clearing up the mucus. You need to take a slightly deeper breath than normal. Make a series of 3 exhalations with the open airway with the muscles of your stomach. Make a “ha, ha, ha” sound. Follow this with a deep cough and normal breathing as you feel the mucus is moving.
- Repeat this cycle for about 2 to 4 times every day for 10 to 15 minutes or as your healthcare provider, prescribes.
How Do You Use Aerobika Oscillating PEP With The Nebulizer?
You can use the Aerobika Oscillating PEP device with a small volume of the nebulizer. The healthcare provider will be advising you on the medicines needed for the combined treatments.
- The medicines that can open up the airways or help in thinning the mucus can be used with the Aerobika Oscillating PEP as it can remove as well as thin up the mucus in the lungs.
- Medicines you wish to stay in the lungs like antibiotics should not be used.
- Remove the mouthpiece from the nebuliser.
- Attach the nebuliser to the port of the device.
- Place the hypertonic saline or medicine in the nebuliser cup.
- Ensure that the nebuliser is correctly set-up and medication is added to the cup.
- Switch the compressed air source on and then complete the combined treatment by using the technique as mentioned above.
- Ensure that you read and understand the instructions that are provided before the treatment.
At the end of each day, wash the device with water and soap.
- You need to soak the disassembled parts of your device for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse these parts in the warm water.
- For drying, shake all the parts for removing the excess water.
Using Dishwasher ( Do Not Clean With Overly Dirty Dishes)
You can wash the four disassembled parts in the dishwasher by securing its parts in the basket on the top rack. Wash it in the normal cycle with the detergent and rinse aid. Always make sure that the parts are dried thoroughly before the device is reassembled.
Reassembling The Device
- Insert the cartridge in the bottom case. If it doesn’t easily slip, then rotate it 180 degrees and then try again.
- Connect both the top as well as bottom cases till you hear the attachment “click.”
- Make sure that the tabs get engaged firmly by pressing both the halves together.
- Reattach the mouthpiece.
Disinfecting The Device
- The device must be disinfected every week but if it is clinically necessary, depending upon the state of the patient, then sterilize the device after every use.
- It is best to follow all the instructions before disinfecting. Opt for distilled water in order to avoid the mineral build-up from the tap water.
- Place the disassembled parts in the colander in order to prevent the plastic parts from coming into contact with the hot bottom, and then gently place it in the boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the parts from water and let it cool down.
Microwave Steam Bag
- The disassembled parts may get disinfected in the steam bag by placing it in the microwave after following the instructions by the manufacturer.
- Remove the parts from the bag carefully and let it cool.
Isopropyl Alcohol (70%)
You can soak the disassembled parts in 70 percent isopropyl alcohol for about 5 minutes and then rinse it well.
Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
You can soak the disassembled parts in 3 percent isopropyl alcohol for about 30 minutes and then rinse it well.
It is important to let the parts dry completely before reassembling it, as not cleaning it well can impact the performance of the device. It is meant for a single patient use, so do not share it. Make sure that you change the device right after 6 months of use or immediately if it is damaged.
Ultimately, this tool is known to have helped many of the patients with respiratory and lung conditions by loosing up the thick mucus and clearing the airways that ease up the breathing process.
If you haven’t read the comparison between AirPhysio vs Aerobika, read it now!
Aerobika can be used to help treat and prevent atelectasis. It can also be used to help improve lung function in people with asthma, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, smoking complications, or COPD.
AirPhysio is the better choice for beginners because it is easier to use and comes with a built-in nebulizer. Aerobika is still a good choice for beginners, but it may be more difficult to use.