A portable air cooler is an excellent way to beat the summer heat. It’s ideal for use at home or in the office. You can make your workspace or bedroom more pleasant, and you don’t have to rely on your landlord or neighbours to allow you to install cumbersome equipment. But, with so many options available, how should you choose?
This tutorial will go through all of the many types of portable coolers, their benefits and drawbacks, and what you should think about before purchasing. Let’s see which one is the greatest portable room air cooler for you.
Why Are Portable Coolers So Popular Today?
AC units consume over a quarter of the electricity consumed in buildings worldwide. Forgoing standard AC appliances may be an excellent alternative if you want to reduce monthly spending or want something more mobile. However, there are more reasons to look for a personal air conditioner suit:
- They are exactly that — portable – You may move them around, set them in whatever room needs cooling, take them in your car, and some types can even be taken on a picnic or camping trip.
- You need something you don’t have to install — a product that is self-contained, hand-held, or even includes wheels, eliminating the need to drill holes in walls with screws
- As an alternative to a wall-mounted air conditioner,— for between $100 and $200 you can buy a good portable cooler.
- If you are renting and are bound by a contract, installing an AC might be out of the question — let’s face it, most of us rent and are bound by contracts, so installing an AC might not be an option.
- Air conditioning is more cost-effective — especially in small rooms or large houses, half of which you don’t use, or in summers that are too short to benefit from an AC.
- Your goal is to be more environmentally friendly — AC alternatives tend to consume less energy, which is better for the environment.
Top 6 Portable Air Cooler for Home
- ChillWell AC
- Nexfan Evo
- Arctos Portable AC
- BreezeWell 3-in-1 Evaporative Air Cooler
- Evaporative Air Cooler
- IAGREEA 3-in-1 Evaporative Air Cooler
ChillWell Portable AC
You will quickly discover that the ChilllWell Portable AC is indispensable in your daily routine. Powered by an electrical outlet, this air conditioner must be used. Because of the small size of this air conditioner, it is not too large. It operates silently, unlike many other cooling systems, and doesn’t seem to disturb the peace of your home or business.
The evaporative cooling technology of the ChillWell Air Cooler is especially designed for small spaces such as your home, hotel room, or office. This air conditioning system employs evaporation and cooling technologies to chill an area. Evaporation is the removal of heat from an item by modifying the temperature of the surrounding air. Rapid cooling facilitates the cooling for a compact room.
The Nexfan EVO is intended to be a straightforward and suitable way to cool the personal area in a room at the height of summer. The AC air cooler has the advantage of being mobile and efficient to use. An air cooler is very convenient in hot temperatures, not only in common areas or offices but also in personal areas. Unlike a fan, the Nexfan EVO air cooler should not constantly blow the papers off the table in the office.
The Nexfan EVO cooling unit is compactly built and weighs very little. This allows you to use it anywhere. The power of the air cooler is sufficient for the personal area in a room to bring it to a comfortable temperature. Compared to a permanently installed air cooler, the small mobile devices consume much less energy. More and more households are opting for a small air cooler like ChillWell’s air cooler.
According to the manufacturer, such devices do not require frequent maintenance and also do not cause high power consumption. (Any/all of the links on this post are affiliate links of which the author receives a small commission from sales of this product/service, but the price is the same to you.)
Arctos Portable AC
If you ever require your room to be colder and more humid, the Arctos Portable Air Cooler may be your finest alternative. The Arctos portable air conditioner is a personal space cooler that efficiently cools and humidifies the air. The Arctos Portable AC is meant to provide you with cooler air on the road. This explains its portability. With Arctos Cooler, you can effortlessly transport a portable air conditioner and keep cool and refreshed wherever you go. In addition, you will not need to air-condition the entire home or incur exorbitant electricity costs.
According to numerous reviews of the Arctos portable air conditioner, it is efficient and uses less energy. The Arctos Portable AC’s variable fan speed allows you to select the optimal setting for your needs. It also features adjustable vents, allowing the user to guide the circulating air to the most effective location.
This Arctos Portable AC requires less effort to install and operate. Connecting it to a power source is all that is required to enjoy chilly and humid air. Additionally, Arctos Portable AC is a humidifier. As with the majority of modern cooling technologies, it employs water to reduce air temperature and humidity. This provides a cool environment where you are not bothered by the heat.
BREEZEWELL 3-IN-1 Evaporative Air Cooler
If you live in a dry climate and want a cost-effective cooling solution, our swamp cooler must be worth considering. There are 3 modes for you: wind/humidification/Cooling; it combines the natural cooling properties of water with a steady breeze to lower indoor temperatures. Breezewell stays professional and makes it possible for you to have both cooling and humidifying functions simultaneously at a modest price!
The cooler comes fitted with remote control for your convenience, so whether you are on the couch or in bed, you may enjoy the cool without moving a muscle. And with a 12-hour timer, you can effortlessly switch the machine off automatically to conserve energy. In addition, a visible and audible low-water indication makes it simple to check the water level. What a lovely summertime sleeping partner!
Evaporative Air Cooler
Innovative cooling technology with a whisper-quiet high-speed rotating fan and a plant-fibre curtain to discharge frozen water into the fresh cold and moist wind, and the largest air outlet window to increase the air flow volume. To chill and dehumidify your environment as quickly and as comfortably as possible. This summer’s heat and dryness have ended. Without water running, this portable air cooler may be utilised as a tower fan.
Laluztop’s air cooler for rooms is the optimal option if you want a portable AC cooler that is simple to remove from rooms. Equipped with four universal wheels for easy portability to any area; no further installation required; plug-and-play. The inner blades are constructed with an automated 90° swing to equally cool your space, and you may manually alter the blowing direction vertically by 120°.
IAGREEA 3-in-1 Evaporative Air Cooler
Be not just a standard fan but also an air-cooling fan and humidifier. The IAGREEA evaporative air cooler takes advantage of the natural cooling qualities of water to rapidly chill the air by absorbing dry, hot air and raising the air’s relative humidity. In addition, adding ice boxes to the water tank might provide an unexpectedly cold sensation. This little air cooling fan will come with a remote control for the user’s comfort; you can run this water cooling fan without difficulty. Remote control range: 23 feet in front, 16 feet at 30 degrees left and right.
A Guide to Choosing a Portable Air Cooler
After comparing the pros and cons of different portable coolers, it’s time to pick the best personal air cooler. Listed below are some key factors to consider.
What’s the climate like where you live?
Hygrometers are useful for determining how humid your area is. Between 30% and 50% humidity is recommended. For example, if you live in the following conditions:
- Mostly dry (less than 30%) — portable evaporative coolers are better.
- Mostly humid (more than 50%) — consider using a fan or portable air conditioner.
- It changes constantly, but usually stays in the normal range— any type is fine, but it is not a good idea to use a fan or AC when the humidity is below 30%.
Size of the device
Many portable cooling device models are rather large. You’ll have to be especially mindful of this if you live in a small apartment or have a small room. Evaporative air coolers are classified into three types based on their size:
- Small, fits on a desk — evaporative coolers (cool body and home), small fans (not so efficient and blow air directly into your face)
- Medium — fans for swamp coolers and box fans
- Large — portable air conditioners, tower fans
Size of the space that needs cooling down
Aside from the size of the room, this point is also affected by how well your preferences match those of the other people in the room. For example, if you’re alone or if your roommate has a different comfort level, it’s likely that only your personal space has to be cooled.
- Personal space (e.g., a desk at work or home) – personal coolers
- Small room — evaporative (swamp) coolers, portable electric fans of different types
- Medium-sized living space — personal coolers, swamp coolers, various types of portable electric fans, and portable air conditioners
Various materials are used to make portable cooling devices and parts, which affects their durability and your health.
- Plastic. Plastics are a class of polymers that are widely employed in household and other equipment. It is hard to argue that a device’s body is bad because it is made of plastic, but if you pick a cheap one, you run the danger of purchasing a less durable air cooler fan manufactured from equally cheap plastic that smells bad, is bad for your health, and is bad for the environment.
- ABS plastic. It is a thermoplastic polymer that is more durable and impact-resistant than other polymers we collectively refer to as “plastic.”
The air quality can be changed by adding additional filters to portable air coolers. Carbon and fiber filters are commonly used.
- Fiber filters. Typically, the primary component of an air filter is fibreglass, which effectively traps spores, dust, pollen, fur, germs, and particles from other materials such as wood or metal (e.g., during construction). There are 16 levels of MERV rating for filter efficiency, with 16 being the maximum degree of efficiency; thus, verify if a device with fibre filters has this rating.
- Cellulose filters. Cellulose filters are manufactured from organic fibres and, like the preceding variety, are intended to catch airborne particles. Cellulose fibres, in contrast to glass fibres, are less uniform and predictable in size, making them less effective in trapping undesirable particles. Both fibre and cellulose filters should be inspected frequently and replaced as they become soiled; otherwise, they may hinder the device’s performance and may even pose health risks. You may extend their usefulness by soaking them in a mix of water and dish soap.
- Carbon filters. Carbon filters, also known as activated charcoal filters, remove gases and smells from the air passing through a device. Some sources recommend soaking a carbon filter in hot water with dishwashing solutions and then rinsing it. Nonetheless, it must be updated often.
- Patented materials. Some producers generate new materials or enhance old ones. For instance, we utilise the unique evaBreeze material for filters in Evapolar air coolers based on mineral fibres for the pads (also known as filter or cartridge) since it offers a superior surface for evaporation and does not promote the growth of germs.
Cooling device maintenance
Any equipment that is to survive as long as feasible requires regular maintenance. Some personal cooling equipment makes it simpler, while others make it difficult.
- Easy — just use water to clean evaporative coolers
- Medium — Use soap and water to clean the fan blades and filters in certain swamp coolers and fans
- Difficult — Changing the refrigerant in portable air conditioners by cleaning filters and calling maintenance services
If we assess the performance of air coolers based on the reduction in air temperature, let’s use the air in your personal space as the criterion, as this is a significant factor in your level of comfort.
- Low — Use various types of fans (do not reduce the temperature)
- Medium — Evaporative coolers at a low price
- High—portable air conditioners and high-quality evaporative coolers
This number will vary depending on the type of device, the specific model, the size of the space you need to cool, and other factors, so consult the product description before making a purchase. We may say, in general, that it is:
- High for portable air conditioners
- Medium for tower fans and some models of box fans
- Low for evaporative coolers, stand or desktop fans, and some models of box fans
There will be a number of features that you may find useful in a good air cooler, so be on the lookout for them when selecting one.
Water level controller/indicator. There are specific evaporative coolers that have this feature and can alert you when the water tank is about to run dry. In case the device is used for a long time without being switched off, it will be handy.
Remote control or wifi. Many AC units and some fans have a remote control that can be used separately or paired with your phone so that it can be controlled wirelessly.
Timer. Most air cooling devices have a timer that will automatically turn it on or delay its start (for example, when you wake up, so it will turn on around that time).
The selection of the finest portable cooler is strongly influenced by your living conditions, demands, and budget. Portable air conditioning systems are the most effective, lowering the room’s temperature to a comfortable level, at the expense of utilising a refrigerant that can be hazardous if it leaks. Electric fans are the least effective at cooling your personal area, but they do function, and you can buy reasonably priced, high-quality ones.